Thursday, October 27, 2016

My basement door redesigned

This is the before picture when I was sanding the door to prepare it for paint
This took me about 4 days to complete with sanding, prep and painting
  • my door redone drab to fab, doors, painting
First the outside of the door then the inside
1-First I sanded the entire door to remove the gloss
2- painted it with 123 primer to give good adhesion for the paint
3-Painted the lines (which was not a good thing next time I will paint the whole door black then do the graining
4- made board lines using masking tape (1/8")
5- used a brown color paint and a wood graining tool to make a faux wood grain on the door
6- used a grey and did a dry brush over the door to give more depth
7- I added a tiny bit of light green to the door also, dry brushing
8- I removed the tape and then touched up the black lines.
9- I then used a gloss polyurethane to seal the door
  • outside of basement door, basement ideas, doors, painting
  • outside of basement door, basement ideas, doors, painting
This is the finished outside door, I love it


Now the inside of the door

1-First I sanded the entire door to remove the gloss
2- painted it with 123 primer to give good adhesion for the paint
3- made board lines using masking tape (1/4")
4- used a tan color paint and a wood graining tool to make a faux wood grain on the door
5- used a darker brown and did a dry brush over the door to give more depth and to make the door just a little darker
6- mixed some acrylic grey paint, used a little red and as I was painting these on I would use my fingers to smudge the paint, just put some random light streaks inside the boards
7- I removed the tape and then painted the black lines but the next time I do this I will paint the black lines first then put the tape on because I had a hard time making the lines straight and not getting them too wide.
8- painted the hinges black
8- I then used a gloss polyurethane to seal the door and the hinges too
  • my door redone drab to fab, doors, painting
This is the finished door, I am so pleased with it

Materials I used for this project:

  • Latex paints- tan, brown  
  • Wood graining tool  
  • Acrylic paints- white, red, black  
  • Gloss oil based polyurethane 
  • 1/4" masking tape 

No comments:

Post a Comment